Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Ultimate Doctor Who Poll

Just back from voting, so here are what I went for:

Who is "your" Doctor?
If the question had been "favourite", not "your" the answer would have been different. Different had it been "best". Different had it been "the one who is in the best episodes", and different for "best interpretation of the role", different for "who you'd rather be watching".

But "my" is a different animal altogether. I had to pick. But I'm not saying Who.

There are approximately 208 enemies of the Doctor, which is your favourite?
The Valeyard!


Which Tardis console is your favourite?
The steampunk gothic of the TV Movie


Which is your favourite version of the theme tune?
I went for the Trial theme, but I'm fond of others. In particular, the nostalga vote goes for the modern one and "Fifth Doctor", while the for "technically the best intepretation award" I favour the original and the Eighth Doctor audio theme.

Favourite companion for each Doctor?
Rough question - I went Ian for 1, Jo for 3, Romana for 4, Turlough for 5, and Mel for 6. The rest I have no preference. I don't really have any strong preference for those.


Which is your favourite era of the Classic show?
Ach, I went for JNT - I do have this big, 80s fondness. Yet I've also watched more from that era, so...


Who do you believe is the best Classic Who writer?
Slightly random choice, but Christopher H. Bidmead - Logopolis, and others. He seemed to have a great sense of the weird and elegaic.


Which is your favourite title sequence?
I went for Hartnell! It is so creepy and alien. But I'm fond of 6's too, because it's so bright, and he smiles. I like 7's wink too.


Do you believe the Doctor should be more mature or do you prefer the younger incarnations?
Doesn't matter for me! As long as a great actor is in the role, who cares? Especially when the youth/age is rendered part of the plot (i.e. the "young man in an old body" of Three, and "old man in a young body" of Five)


Favourite actor as the Master? (Classic Who only!)
Now this was hard, because Jacobi is my fave and the rest I rate equally. So I pitched for Ainley, and didn't feel too uncomfortable afterwards.


What is your favourite episode featuring the Master?
Even harder! I love all the Master episodes! It came down to King's Demons or Planet of Fire. So I went for the former. There's always one...though in retrospect, I might have chosen the latter.


What is your favourite episode featuring the Daleks?
They're all pretty good, but I voted Resurrection because I happen to adore it.

Who is your favourite actor to have played Davros? (Classic Who only)
Picked Wisher because really, I have no opinion and he's pretty good.


What is your favourite episode featuring Davros?
Guiltily picked Resurrection a second time.


What is your favourite episode featuring the Cybermen?
?! Um, Earthshock I suppose? I've seen barely any.

What is your favourite episode featuring the Sontarans?
Two Doctors, easy. I wish they'd specify whether it's favourite episode, happening to contain a Sontaran, or favourite Sontaran episode...cos Two Doctors wasn't great for that.

Which Doctor do you think is best at portraying the darker story lines?
Rabbits. But I went for Davison, because I enjoy it so much when his episodes go pitch.


Which Doctor do you think is best at portraying the lighter story lines?
It's times like this when being woefully unfamiliar with 6 out of 10 Doctors really comes back to bite you. So I went for McCoy, purely because most of the others didn't fit the bill, and I don't feel it always works when Tom Baker tries.


Which episode of Classic Who is your favourite?
Enlightenment! Finally, an easy question!


I didn't exactly enjoy that. I never remember how unqualified I am to discuss the series as a whole until I try: there's barely a vote outside the 1980s above, and that's never because the 80s was the show's zenith. More because I've seen far more.

No comments: