Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Master: dressing for the occasion

Today we're going to talk about RM. The movie has him dressed up as Bruce for the whole time, and I can't believe that his costume of choice would be the Prydonian robes. It'd be like AM going around dressed as Khalid for absolutely no reason (no wait...)(:p just kidding)(but not really) So I've designed him his own outfit for the comic. You'll be pleased to know it's black.

Just as AM's outfit wasn't entirely removed from Tremas' dress sense, so I've tried to incorporate some of the black leather look. I've given him a futuro version of the jacket, along with shiny leather trousers. He's terribly camp in the movie, so I've made it deliberately 60's sci-fi, with only a hint of cheap stripper. It's supposed to have a cursory resemblance to those mancandy calenders, with posing lumberjacks and hunk firemen. I haven't forgotten the robes though - hence his sleeves are massive Jacobean affairs of which Deadly Assassin Doctor would thoroughly approve. I let him keep the sunglasses. My art is dodgy at best, and I do intend those trousers to be very tight, so I'm seeing how far I can decently go with crotch.

My one concern is that he's not his Doctor's mirror. 3 and DM had very similar tastes - refined, sleek - and would cut similar silhouettes; 5 and AM are both broadly historical - one Edwardian, the other Elizabethan, and both a little daft; SM and 10 are in suits. But crucially, those three Master-Doctor pairs have similar attitudes - whereas it's hard to put 8 and RM even in the same galaxy. 8's mirror-Master would be a vampiric lost romantic, instead of the tough guy we got. And there is something 8 would agree with in RM's new Space Pirate look.

Perhaps because it's the Master's one outing in a really buff body, you see him resort to physical violence in a way no other Master ever has (or, indeed, has needed to). As a tribute to that, I've given him a gun and an OTT sword - mostly because the costume looked bare. But now I look for one, I've had a wonderful use for that gun all along, and it's good to provide him with the means for a round three swordfight if 8 was ever in the mood. I've given it a greeinish ting in tribute to the snake stuff.

No comments: